This post is in honor of Blog the Change for Animals, hosted by the newly designed BTC4Animals.com. BTC4A offers a fresh new monthly format that never asks for a cent but just a moment of time to make a difference for animals in need! Take a look and sign up for manageable monthly action alerts!
LOST DOGS FOUND
When our Newf and hound jumped the fence in a two foot snowstorm, terror struck. Forced to think rather than feel to ensure their survival and return, it was difficult to shift gears.
We hung fliers and organized friends, veterinarians, the mailman, and town garage crews in our search. As night fell, my husband snowshoed over the mountain in 14 degree weather serenaded by the shrill calls of hungry coyotes on the hunt. By morning, we found tracks suggesting the dogs had hunkered down in an abandoned trailer before moving on. When Tim pulled them from the deep woods, stumbling, weak, and dehydrated, they had traveled 6 miles. It took us all a week to recover from the stress alone. (Read “Both Dogs: Lost … and Found” in its entirety.)
In that experience, I’ve learned one thing. When you’ve lost a beloved pet (or two), panic consumes logic. Thankfully, there’s a new app that does the logical thinking for you.
INTRODUCING THE FREE ASPCA MOBILE APP
The ASPCA has launched its first interactive mobile application which offers step-by-step instructions on what to do if a pet goes missing. These instructions are tailored to each specific circumstance and a pet’s individual personality. It also allows pet owners to store vital medical records, and it will provide information on making life-saving decisions during natural disasters.
- A personalized missing pet recovery kit, including step-by-step instructions on how to search for a lost animal in a variety of circumstances. This kit was developed by ASPCA pet care experts and based on the latest field research.
- The ability to build a lost pet digital flyer that can be shared instantly on social media channels.
- Access critical advice – even if there’s no data connectivity – on ensuring pet’s safety before, during, and after a major storm or disaster.
- Store and manage pet’s health records.
- Timely, relevant updates from the ASPCA about the latest in pet news and animal welfare.
- Built-in ASPCA Twitter and Instagram feeds.
DO DOWNLOAD! PLUS…
The app is available for free download on iPhone and Android. But don’t stop there. Enter your pet’s information now! If crisis strikes, you’ll be prepared.
Fortunate so far, the only escapes have been good ones: from the wrath of Hurricanes Irene and Sandy. But our pets’ safety is always in our hands. Around here, we take that seriously. To stave off a repeat performance, we always ensure current microchip registration. We’ve invested in a new 6 foot fence. We’ve attached Tagg GPS trackers to our dogs’ collars and keep them properly charged. And now, I’ve added the ASPCA to my phone, too.
VISIT MORE GREAT ANIMAL CAUSES!
I’m off to BarkWorld Expo in Atlanta in October!
You’re coming too, right?
Think fast for the best deal.
The $129.00 early rate expires August 18th.
REGISTER NOW or…
ENTER TO WIN!
Get details here! Your flight, hotel for 3 nights, transportation, and conference pass for you and your dog could be covered by Iams. Just write a 250 word blog – or submit a video – about why you want to attend! Contest ends August 17th.
WHAT’S THE BIG DEAL?
Learn what’s possible on the web as it relates to you, your pet and your business at The National Pet Social Media Conference – BarkWorld Expo. Be inspired, network and elevate your social “petworking” skills. Whether you’re an average pet owner or a blogger, you’ll be amazed with the information you’ll walk away with, including a roadmap for business you can put into effect immediately.
Established in 2009, the BarkWorld Conference & Expo is the only pet social media conference covering social media, lifestyle and technology as it relates to pet owners and businesses. The 2012 annual conference will focus on many topics, including: photography, podcasting, blog & monetization, mobile applications and technology startups.
Innovative ways to use social media in the animal niche abound! Joining more than 300 pet-loving bloggers and social media pet-repreneurs, the social media geek in me is eager to hear Keynotes from the fine folks behind Twitter, the ASPCA, Meetup.com and the HBO Documentary Madonna of the Mills. And then there are the …
Pet Lifestyle and Social Media Sessions:
- What’s Super Healthy & Has 6 Leg
- Agility, Your Dog & Social Media
- Digital Scrapbooking for Pet Lovers
- From Modern Cat to Dog Milk; Inspiration for the Stay-at-Home Pet
- Google+, Pinterest
I’M SPEAKING: SOCIAL MEDIA FOR SOCIAL GOOD
I’ll be speaking, too, about ways to build online relationships to benefit a cause and the tools that make that possible. Explor ways to use social media for social good! Have questions on that? Comment below and I’ll incorporate answers into my presentation (sponsored by Iams).
And, when I’m not making delectable, healthy pet treats for you from The Honest Kitchen on the Expo floor, I’ll be hitting up many of the fun and unique features this conference has to offer. There are plenty of sessions to get you started if you’re new to social media and blogging and there’s plenty for those already in the know who want to learn more.
FOR THE INTERMEDIATE – ADVANCED AUDIENCE
- Speed Dating for brands & bloggers – back with new brands!
- Advance workshops & sessions
- A special Sunday tour of the Georgia Aquarium for 10 social influencers
- Interactive Game: How Much is Your Tweet Worth?
- Dog Yoga & Morning Stretches With Your Dog
- A Charity HOWL-O-Ween Costume Party & Contest with Celebrity Judges, a Photo Booth, Red Carpet, & Prizes
- Themed Block Parties with brands like: Iams, Eukanuba, PetCareRX.com, Nutrish, and Petco
- Cooking demonstrations from The Honest Kitchen
- Scavenger Hunt for Prizes, like an Apple iPad, The Sims Pets video game, Petco Gift Cards, pet-related books, & more!
LEARN MORE ABOUT BARKWORLD
HELP ANIMALS IN NEED WITHOUT SPENDING A CENT!
The “America’s Favorite Shelter” Contest, sponsored by Care2, ASPCA, and Adopt-a-Pet.com, gives you the chance to rally behind your favorite shelter. These shelters are often the last chance and refuge for thousands of animals. Celebrate the work they do and help them win crucial funding.